Dear Parents and Carers,
Secretary of State’s Announcement
It was announced this evening that schools will close at the end of the day on Friday. Whilst we were anticipating the announcement, some of its contents came as a surprise. The key points were:
1. Schools close at the end of the day on Friday except for certain categories of children:
• Vulnerable children (eg those with and Education Care and Health Plan; those with a social worker).
• Children of essential workers such as health, police, social care, delivery drivers.
2. Meals or vouchers will be provided for those in receipt of free school meals.
3. There are no exams in May and June.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS, AS YET, NO DETAIL ON HOW CHILDREN WILL BE ASSESSED, AND SO IT IS IMPORTANT THAT STUDENTS CONTINUE TO STUDY AS NORMAL.
Clearly, this announcement raises many questions about how this works in practice. We anticipate imminently receiving more detailed and specific guidance from the DfE, and I will then write to you again. In the meantime, all children should continue to attend for the next 2 days as usual in line with the recommendations made by Public Health England.
As we await further clarification, I wanted to reassure you that we will make sure that we formulate plans that are in the best interests of our children, staff and communities. We will update you on progress again tomorrow.